October 1, 2022
1:00 pm - 4:30 pm
For several years, the Make Your Own Sneakers workshop has been one our most popular classes. We’re excited to be able to bring this to students no matter where they are located with this online class.
In this workshop facilitated via Zoom, students design and build their own sneakers. This workshop is 3.5 hours long.
Students will select their sole size and their leathers, which we will ship to you prior to the class date, along with the pattern, included tools and some pre-class instructions.
This class is taught by a virtual platform. We’ve added this option so our students will have the choice of coming to us for making sneakers, or staying home and being taught by one of our instructors via Zoom. Students will be able to make choices of style, leather, eyelets (optional), and receive the materials in time for their virtual class. While dates for classes are listed below, we encourage you to register and order any additional tools and materials you would like well in advance to make sure all of your materials arrive before your class date. Come along and Zoom some sneakers with us.
- Sneaker soles and insoles
- Shoe Laces
- Long needle and thread
- X-acto Knife
- 2 hole punches–one tiny, one larger
- Punch pad
- Silver water based pen for tracing and marking
- We ask Students to cut out their patterns and leather in advance in order to preserve time. One shoe will be completed during workshop and one finished on their own.
Important notes and Tool Hacks:
- Punching your holes: Wrap a piece of leather around the head of a regular hammer to use on your punch tools–that will preserve the punch.
- If you’re using the water-based silver pen to trace your patterns on the leather, it’s recommended to cut that off as you cut your leather. It rubs off most leathers, but sometimes leaves a shadow of a mark. Test on a scrap of leather first.
- Cutting is challenging–but as long as you follow the lines and cut precisely, you’ll be fine. Very sharp scissors work, Rotary cutters work for the Classic styles, and the X-acto knife works well —but make sure you keep it perpendicular to your cutting surface (cutting mat recommended)
**You’ll receive your Zoom invitation no later than two days prior to the class date. We look forward to helping you make yourself a new pair of kicks!
Need a special date for your group of friends, family or co-workers? Private Sneaker Making Virtual Workshops are available for groups of four or more. Email info[at]chicagoschoolofshoemaking.com with your request.
Below is the chart we use to determine shoe size. The soles come in full sizes only (no 1/2 sizes) and are graded by EU Sizing. We recommend choosing the size up. (ie if you’re a Woman’s size 9.5 US, select a 10US/42EU.)
Women’s Size 36 EU= 6 US
Women’s size 37 EU= 6.5 US
Women’s size 38 EU= 7.5 US
Women’s size 39 EU= 8,8.5 US
Women’s size 40 EU=9 US
Women’s size 41 EU= 9.5 US
Women’s size 42 EU= 10 US
Women’s size 43 EU= 11 US
Women’s size 44 EU=11.5 US
Men’s size 41 EU= 8 US
Men’s size 42 EU= 8.5 US
Men’s size 43 EU= 9.5 US
Men’s size 44 EU= 10 US
Men’s size 45 EU= 11 US
Men’s size 46 EU= 12 US
Men’s size 47 EU= 13.5,14 US