LEATHER WORK INTENSIVE
20 hours total.
For beginners and experienced leather workers
Learn about the tools, hardware and tanning, how to read a hide and unique qualities leather has.
Complete several projects
Projects include wallets, belts, cuffs, card holders, cases, 4 and 6 strand round braids, and messenger bags.
This skills-based course immerses the student in the fundamentals of traditional leather crafting. This class is both for beginners and those who have some experience but wish to gain a well-rounded foundation for their practice of leather work. You’ll complete several projects within 20 hours of class work.
Skill sets include:
- Leather Knowledge, types and weights,
- Reading a side of leather—where to cut
- Tool identification and proper usage
- Cutting tools and techniques, changing blades, strap cutter
- Gluing: prep, aligning edges, when glue is viable, removing glue.
- Punching holes, punching slots; choosing the proper size, techniques
- Setting rivets and hardware
- Buckles: installing, creating a ring buckle, keepers
- Trouble shooting rivets, eyelets and snaps
- Setting misc hardware
- Hand Sewing and edge braiding double needle saddle stitch, baseball stitch
Projects include wallets, belts, cuffs, card holders, cases, 4 and 6 strand round braids, messenger bags